Democracy & Governance
ME&A designs, implements, and evaluates development programs assisting democratic governments in becoming more fair, open, and transparent while engaging citizens, the private sector, and civil society as active partners. We also specialize in decentralization, good governance, and public administration issues from a wide range of perspectives by providing practical solutions that are responsive to real operational needs, fostering resilience and sustainability.
Our programs promote changes in government structure, systems, and methods of ensuring accountability, transparency, the rule of law, economic development, and the conditions necessary for fighting corruption and kleptocracy. We emphasize expanding local participation; strengthening local actors; and building linkages between government, private business, and civil society at national, regional, and local levels.
Range of Expertise
- Inclusive national, regional, and local democracy-building programming
- Civil society strengthening
- Citizen participation strategies
- Anti-corruption strategies
- Decentralization and related revenue and economic growth intergovernmental issues
- Public management, budgeting, finance, capital improvement programming, local territorial planning, service delivery, asset management, and human resource development
- Geospatially informed land use planning and permitting, property tax and cadastral information, and demographic and social analysis
- Public information and civic education campaigns
- Legislative development